Have you ever thought of Dehradun as your next travel destination? If yes, then you might have already understood the beauty and things to do offered by this city of love. But if you do not consider visiting Dehradun- then we would like you to think twice.
True, Dehradun is plain and quite populated but all the naturally beautiful places, attractions, and to-do things offered by this city are exceptional. So, why miss out on them?
Dehradun is a gateway to several amazing destinations that people love to visit throughout the year. There are some popular and hidden treasures that are on offer for visitors here. If you too are planning on a trip to Dehradun, then do not forget to enjoy these activities.
Here is a list of things to enjoy while you are in Dehradun:
1. Hill station getaway – Take a trip to Dhanaulti
- One of the finest places to visit around Dehradun is Dhanaulti.
- It is a hill station further higher than Mussoorie.
- Dhanaulti offers solitude and a pristine environment.
- The hill station experiences a heavy snowfall every year. So if you want to enjoy snowfall then this place is still a good one for you.
2. Kipling trek – Follow the Kipling Trail to Mussoorie
- The entire Kipling trek is roughly 9 km with breathtaking views on both your sides throughout the way.
- The difficulty level of the trek is between easy and moderate so you will have a fair share of thrill throughout.
- It takes only 1 day to complete the entire trek and the number of hours will depend on your speed.
- You will be trekking through the colonial era-villages of Uttarakhand and the rest through the forest.
- The highest point in the entire trek is 6578 ft.
- Shahanshahi Ashram is the base camp of the trail.
- The best time to take this trail is between October and February or during the winter season.
3. Cable car ride – Take a ride on the Sahastradhara Ropeway
- The base of the Sahastradhara Ropeway is roughly 15 km from Dehradun.
On your way, you not only see the green forested areas but a number of hot springs too.
- This is a highlight activity to enjoy in Dehradun and one loves taking the ride.
- You reach the hilltop that is on the other end of the ropeway. There are a couple of attractions located on the summit including a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and an artificial park.
- It costs approximately 200-300 INR per person for a two-way ride.
- You can enjoy photography from the hilltop.
4. Guided hiking tour – Take a guided hike in the Maldevta area
- This is a good picnic spot and you can enjoy the beauty of the surroundings while having your food.
- The serenity of Maldevta is alluring and that’s what people like about it.
- It takes approximately 30 minutes to drive from Dehradun and the road conditions are good enough.
- People enjoy around the river, photographing the natural beauty.
5. Local bakeries – Join locals at a Rajpur Road bakery
- From as old as 1953 to some new ones; you will find a lot of bakeries throughout Rajpur road.
- A lot of options are available in terms of snacks like rusk, patties, toffees, grilled sandwiches, and plum cakes.
- Some bakeries offer delivery options whereas in others you will have to go for the takeaway option.
- In some bakeries, you can also enjoy handmade chocolates, cheese pastries, and cakes.
6. War memorials – Learn the story of the Anglo-Gurkha war
- The war memorial at Dehradun is located in Tibbanala Pani which is surrounded by peaceful places, in the lap of nature.
- On one side of the Khalanga War Memorial, you get the perfect view of forested regions.
- You can visit here on your bike and car too.
- This is the place where brave hearts are buried,
- You can salute the grave to honor the soldiers who died to protect us.
7. Architecture walk – Go on a tour of the architectural elegance
- There are amazing places in all of Dehradun where you can witness the elegant architecture offered by the city.
- Forest Research of India, Tibetan Buddhist Temple, Chetwoode Hall, Shiv Mandir, Ghanta
- Ghar are some of the attractions where you can go.
8. Hindu & Sikh temples – Tour ornate Hindu & Sikh shrines
- There are a number of Hindu and Sikh temples across Dehradun.
- Shree Guru Ram Rai Darbar Sahib, Kali Temple Rajpur Road, Shiv Mandir Dehradun, and Big Shiva Temple are some of the important ones.
9. Wetland bird watching – Spot migratory birds at Asan Wetland
- Assan Barrage Bird Sanctuary is located in Jhanda Mohalla in Dehradun.
- It is simply a haven for bird watchers because they can spot numerous species of migratory birds.
- This wetland is amongst the most visited places in Dehradun.
- It is beautiful, peaceful and a perfect getaway place.
- One can enjoy a picnic around this place and also you can savor maggie at just 50 INR.
10. Bazaar shopping – Browse for souvenirs in Paltan Bazaar
- Paltan Bazaar gets going right from the morning at 5 am.
- You can find families also buying clothes and enjoying themselves at the paltan bazaar.
- This is one of the biggest markets and a very popular one where every kind of traveler loves to visit.
- The first stock of things here are grabbed by a lot of people in the morning, be it summer or winter. So, if you want to see the full strength of things offered you will have to visit in the morning.
Dehradun is also known as the city of love and there are endless things that one can do. From adventure activities to savoring delicacies- there are a hell lot of things. So, make your plans accordingly and iterate them in a proper fashion so that at least you can make room for the above-listed things.
Don’t worry, there are extensive things to do while you visit Dehradun, we have just mentioned a few of them for you to enjoy. There is no limit to enjoying things when you visit here. So we believe that these 10 things to do would be enough for you for the first trip. And if you have already done a few of them; try the others.
See Also: Places to visit in Dehradun | Things to do in Mussoorie | Things to do in Rishikesh