Goa is known for a lot of things and one amongst them are the beautifully Portuguese marvels. People from around the world visit here and have a look at these amazing buildings that were built when Goa was under the rule of Portuguese rulers. These villas, buildings, houses, and quarter communities have now become a gem of the state.
Where some of these buildings have been restored and made a heritage property, others are just for the visitors to come visit and go. But in this blog, we are going to have a look at the amazing Portuguese houses in Goa that have been kept as one of the best things that have happened to the party capital of India.
Let’s have a look at the Marvellous Portuguese houses of Goa in 2023
Location: Neighbourhood of Panjim
When you visit Goa, there are many places that fill the top spot of the visitor’s list. But if you are one of the explorers or history buffs, then going straight to Panjim is what will give you a better time. Not that Panjim is filled with a lot of historical monuments, but yes, it is the place where Fontainhas is located.
Things to do know about Fountainhas
- When it comes to the Panjim Latin Quarters, Fontainhas is the known capital of this place.
- This is a completely different world in Goa where you will get multiple amazing and colorful Portuguese Villas constructed in a row.
- Back in 1984, Fountainhas was included in the list of UNESCO Heritage Zones of the world.
- There are multiple art galleries, distinctive restaurants, quaint shops, bakeries, and other characteristic things that show the stronghold of Portuguese in this place.
- You will see multiple shops and eateries in Fontainhas where you still get the authentic Portuguese delicacies. It is a wonderful treat to watch and savour what all is on offer in this Goa’s settlement.
You can book yourself a good place to stay at this place. And for your convenience we have given a few names to you.
|Best places to stay in Fontainhas|
|Name of the places you can stay||Per night charges|
|Welcome Heritage Panjim Inn||5000 INR (breakfast included)|
|La Mansion||5000 INR (breakfast included)|
|Mateus||3500 INR (breakfast included)|
|Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho||3500 INR (breakfast included)|
|Old Quarter Hostel||600 INR (For beds in Dorms)
1700 INR (For private rooms)
2. Figueiredo House
Location: House No 378, Carvota, Loutolim, Goa 403718
Are you one of those travellers who wish to stay in places that are very old? Does that give you some kind of adrenaline rush in the veins? If that’s all a yes from your side then head to Figueiredo House which is also known by the name of Figueiredo Mansion.
Things to do know about this mansion
- It is said that the mansion is more than 400 years old and it still looks like a new one.
- The place is enchanting and equipped with a lot of modern day equipment.
- There is a museum in the mansion that can be visited by the tourists with a guided tour.
- The museum timings are 9:30 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 5 pm.
- Admission fee for the museum is 300 INR but if you are staying at the mansion, it is free of cost for you.
- The timings for guided tours of the museum are 10:30 am, 12 pm, 2:30 pm, and 4 pm.
- By paying a small amount the guests who are staying at the mansion can avail the services of a guided city tour.
|Important facts about the Figueiredo Mansion|
|Tariff of a standard room||5000 INR to 8000 INR per night (Depends on the season of your arrival)|
|Tariff of a family suite||8000 INR to 14,000 INR per night (Depends on the season of your arrival)|
|Facilities offered at the mansion||
|Meals facilities||You will have to inform the mansion officials 48 hours before arrival.|
3. Casa Araujo Alvares, Loutolim
Location: Near Big Foot, Loutolim, Goa
For those who are still not aware of the architectural beauty of Goa, there are multiple mansions and buildings that are centuries old. They are preserved by the locals and other people for visitors. One of them is the Casa Araujo Alvares that is in Loutolim. This is a 250 years old mansion and nothing less than a marvel and a gem of Goa that has been preserved for centuries. This mansion was the residence of Eufemiano Araujo Alvares and his family.
Things to do know about this mansion
- There is an automated “light and sound show” installed in the mansion. All the guests get to enjoy the show.
- All the rooms are illuminated with lights and they also get to hear the narration that helps them to understand the lifestyle of the people who lived here during Goan-Portuguese time.
- This light and sound show is informative too. You can ask the officials about further details when you visit here.
- The entire mansion is constructed on the inner side of a courtyard and there is a chapel in the center of the mansion.
- You will get to see European antiques and age-old photos here in the mansion and the chapel.
- When you stay at the mansion for a night or so, one thing you get to know and that’s they are preserved with authenticity.
|Important facts about the Casa Araujo Alvares|
|Contact Details||0832 2750430 (For direct bookings)|
|Museum Timings||Morning tour- 9 am to 1 pm
Evening tour- 2 pm to 5:30 pm
|Tour Details||English and Hindi Tours run here daily.
A new tour runs every 15 min
|Entry Fee of the museum||125 INR per person|
|Additional Details||20 INR for camera (photography in the museum is allowed)|
4. Quinta De Halicarnassus
Location: Nerul, North Goa
We have often heard that Goa is the party capital of the country and that’s cent percent true. There is no denying that there are multiple nature’s marvels that are present to give the visitors what they want. But do you know there are mansions and villas like Quinta De Halicarnassus in Goa. And these places are the perfect place for people to stay who wish to enjoy the comforts of the families who lived here in the bygone era.
And it was the Portuguese elite families who resided here. Apart from that Quinta De Halicarnassus is a marvel for present day history lovers. And for those who want to have a look at the beautifully carved furniture. Not only does this place have well-created rosewood furniture but it also defies the norms of a conventional building.
5. Palácio do Deão, Quepem
Location: Opposite Holy Cross, Church, Quepem, Goa
Amongst the historic Portuguese houses in Goa, Palácio do Deão is a name that is quite prominent. People from around the world stay here during their stay in Goa.
Things to do know about this mansion
- The mansion is approximately 14 km from Margao.
- The house is built beautifully on the banks of Kushavati River.
- The house is also a melange of Hindu and Portuguese blend of architecture.
- Palácio do Deão also flaunts a pond, garden, and a lot of amazing things.
|Important facts about the Palácio do Deão manor|
|Tariff of the manor||1000 INR for two people per night|
|Cuisines available||Portuguese and Goan|
|Facilities||AC, Parking, Outdoor Seating|
- Menezes Bragança House, Chandor
- VILLA LOU GOA Heritage Portuguese House
- Houses of Goa Museum
- Fernandes Heritage House
So how many of these places have you already visited? And how many of these have you known earlier? These mansions are amazingly done and preserved. If you happen to visit Goa, we suggest that you should visit any or all of these places. The hospitality here is top-notch.