History and culture are the two most important elements of Ladakh. These are the propellers that have intrigued and lured a lot of travelers to this amazing place. Being a prominent place on the silk route, Ladakh was also the trading ground from the beginning. True, the natural beauty and diversity of landscapes in Leh Ladakh is the highlight but historical places also play a vital role.
The list of historical places in Leh Ladakh is huge and each of them are unique in their ways. So, if you too are a history buff like many others and are planning your trip to this magnificent place then here are some amazing attractions that you can visit on your trip.
You can have a great time exploring the artifacts and other historical items at these places.
1. Castle Of Sani
- The first and foremost thing that makes the Castle Of Sani a great attraction and important historic monument of Ladakh is that it is blessed by Padmasambhava of Oddhiyana.
- The second important thing about the place is the cemetery of Dechendal which is located on the premises.
- The castle of Sani also boasts the Kanishka Stupa which is a key attraction of the castle and one of the most important things for the tourists.
- There is a section that is well-preserved in the castle and that section is a cave. It is believed that the guru stayed at this cave for a long time and practiced meditation for peace for quite some time.
- The highlight for people other than the history buffs is the sacred Naropa statue. The statue is unveiled on the 15th day of the 6th month according to the Tibetan Calendar; every year.
- The best time to visit the castle is between November and March.
- There are multiple wall paintings depicting various things and all of them are a part of the castle.
2. Shey Palace
- Shey Palace is one of the finest attractions of Leh Ladakh and a highly visited historic place too.
- The best time to visit Shey Palace is between July and September.
- There is an interesting thing about this palace that grains, holy signs, and jewels are used to worship the deities here. Monks and Lamas chant mantras as well.
- Most of the palace is now in ruins but one can see the amazing past of the palace at various places.
- The antiques and inscriptions found in the palace tell a lot of things about the history of Ladakh and what the palace had experienced in the past.
- Shey Palace is located approximately 15 km southwest of Leh and it was once the summer capital of the king.
3. Takthok Monastery
- Takthok Monastery is a place where a lot of people visit due to its elegance and its location.
- The monastery houses more than 55 Lamas and is also the home to the throne of the Dalai Lama.
- Takthok Monastery is also well-known for its architecture, collection of murals, and well-made assembly halls.
- Caves and amazing halls are also a part of the Takthok Monastery. The monastery also houses a sacred book named Kandshur that has the teachings of Lord Buddha.
4. Leh Palace
- Leh Palace is a top-notch attraction of Leh and a highly visited one too. It is one of the main attractions for historic buffs too. There are multiple reasons why.
- While you reach here, enjoy the divine and breathtaking panoramic view of the entire Zanskar Range.
- This is a glorified palace that offers an amazing sunset and sunrise view.
- The timings to visit the palace is between 7 am and 4 pm so plan your trip accordingly.
- Leh Palace’s construction started in 1553 and ended in the 17th century and is one of a kind in the country.
- The Leh Palace is constructed in a different style which is a melange of Medieval Tibetan Architecture and the ancient Roman touch.
- The palace is more or less a hub of Buddhist culture and important in every aspect because you can see the items of the kings and queens in the museum.
- There is a section where the prince still stays in the palace.
5. Thiksey Monastery
- Another very interesting place in Leh Ladakh, Thiksey Monastery holds a lot of importance for the visitors.
- The two-story statue of Maitreya Buddha is also a highlight of this place making it highly important for history buffs and other visitors.
- There are multiple murals and manuscripts that are housed in the monastery.
- The monastery is open between 7 am and 7 pm and has many things on showcase.
6. Stok Palace
- Another beautiful monument of Ladakh is the Stok Palace which was built in 1820 by then king Tsepal Namgyal.
- The royal amenities are also kept on showcase in the Stok Palace and are an integral part of Leh.
- It is also the place where the crown of the kind Tsepal Namgyal is kept on display.
- The palace is also open for visitors who can take a tour inside the palace and the gardens around.
7. Alchi Monastery
- Alchi Monastery is a UNESCO heritage site of Leh Ladakh.
- It is one of the most popular and oldest sites in Ladakh.
- You can find clusters of shrines that have been displayed since the 11th century.
- Many monks reside in the Alchi Monastery.
8. Shanti Stupa
- This is a 2-story building that is built a few km from Leh market.
- The entire building is constructed in white marble and it represents peace.
- There is a lot of historic and political importance of Shanti Stupa.
9. Hemis Monastery
- The Hemis Monastery is important because Naropa who was an Indian Buddhist attained enlightenment here.
- This is one of the largest and wealthiest monasteries in all of Ladakh.
- There are two big statues on the premises; one is of Guru Rimpoche and the other one is of Lord Buddha.
10. Castle Of Tingmosgang
- The castle is home to the self-originated image of Avalokitesvara. It was installed here as a symbol of merit.
- The best time to visit here is between June and September.
- The castle is located approximately 92 km from Leh towards the west.
- This also has the 3-story image of Buddha Maitreya.
The palaces, castles, and monasteries of Ladakh are surely a showsteller and amazing. Be it the intriguing designs or the collection; historic palaces are profound. People love to visit here to know more about the monument or get an insight into the history of Ladakh. Given above are some places where you can visit during your trip.