Ladakh is nicknamed the “Land of High Passes” because there is no dearth of the same. Adventure lovers, thrill-seekers, and avid bikers visit here repeatedly for the amusement they get while traversing the mountains and valley passes in Ladakh. There is no denying that the challenging passes make for a wonderful trip to the union territory.
So, while you plan for your trip to Ladakh, there are high chances that you will be including the challenging passes. If all of this is true, you will have to get your hands on a list of mountain passes in Ladakh, won’t you?
To give you ease, we have brought to you the entire list of mountain passes that you can go to.keep in mind, you will have to be cautious while riding or driving at these passes because as alluring and exciting as it looks, it is equally daunting too!
List of passes in Ladakh that should be on your list on your next trip
Kongka La is a picturesque mountain pass located in Ladakh, known for its stunning vistas of the surrounding Himalayan range.
- Kongka La is located in the line of control between India and China at an astonishing altitude of 5171 m above sea level.
- The main reason for its popularity is the fact that this area is a hub of several unusual activities. A lot of theorists also believe that this is the place where UFOs have landed several times.
- Although people are not allowed to reach the exact point, taking a trip to the outskirts or till the allowed region is also cherished by people.
2. Khardung La
Khardung La is a scenic mountain pass that is known for its rugged terrain and breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
- One of the highest motorable passes of the world; Khardung La stands at an astonishing 5359 m above sea level. It is one of the most visited passes too!
- This point is located approximately 40 km from Leh city and it offers a long stretch of daunting roads.
- While heading to Khardung La you will first reach the South Pullu checkpoint, from there you will head towards Nubra Valley and reach North Pullu. Continuing on the road you will reach the highest point which is Khardung La.
- You will have to take the inner line permit from Leh to visit here.
- It is advised to not stay more than 20 minutes at this point or you will start feeling breathless.
3. Chang La
Chang La is one of the high-altitude mountain passes in Ladakh, offering stunning panoramic views of snow-capped peaks and rugged mountain terrain.
- Chang La Pass sits at an even higher altitude which is 5360 m above sea level and is one of the highest altitude passes in the world.
- You will first descend from the Wari La to reach Sakti Village and after you cross this settlement, you will have to climb to Chang La pass.
- While you visit here do not forget to offer your prayers at the Chang La baba temple.
- There is a tea point here where snacks and tea can be enjoyed. You can rest here too.
- Enjoy the beauty around you and click as many pictures as you want.
4. Zoji La
Zoji La is an astonishing mountain pass known for its challenging terrain and unpredictable weather, making it an adventurous destination for thrill-seekers.
- One of the most thrilling and challenging passes across the world- this is what people say about this.
- It is not as high as others in the list sitting comfortably at just 3528 m above sea level, this is the pass that connects Leh and Srinagar.
- While driving/ riding from Jammu Kashmir, Zoji La is going to be the first pass that you will come across.
- Zoji La is also mentioned in the list of “World’s most dangerous passes” and it intrigues a lot of riders.
- The entire pass is approximately 25.8 km and it takes almost a day to pass because you need to be cautious throughout the stretch.
5. Lungalacha La
Lungalacha La is a scenic mountain pass known for its picturesque landscapes and stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Sitting at 5059 m above sea level, Lungalacha La pass falls on the Manali- Leh highway after crossing Pang.
- This is the deserted pass and it will be cold so that only increases the excitement inside the traveler.
- The pass is roughly 196 km from Leh city and the view from the top point is absolutely amazing.
6. Baralacha La
Baralacha La pass offers panoramic views of snow-capped peaks, glaciers, and crystal-clear lakes, creating a stunning landscape that attracts visitors from around the world.
- Baralacha La pass is about 282 km from Leh city and another high-altitude pass that is popular for its daunting trail.
- It comfortably sits at 4890 m above sea level and gives a great time to travelers because you will find snow-capped mountains on all your sides.
- This is a point where you can get light snowfall even in summers.
- If you want to travel through this road you will have to do that between June and October because it remains closed throughout the other months.
- There is no signal connectivity at Baralacha La pass.
7. Marsimik La
Marsimik La is an astonishing pass in Ladakh, India, popular for its rugged terrain and stunning views of the surrounding Himalayan range.
- Marsimik La is near Lukung in Ladakh and is approximately 183 km from Leh on the Pangong Lake Road.
- Marsimik La is one of the highest motorable passes in the world that stands at a height of 5582 m above sea level.
- With challenging roads and cool temperatures in summers, it becomes a wonderful place to visit for the riders.
- It lies just 4 km from the Indo-Sino border but nevertheless, it is accessible and offers an awe-inspiring view of the surrounding area.
8. Namika La
Although Namika La is known for its picturesque landscapes, people enjoy the challenging terrain of the pass too.
- Namika La is located 165 km from Leh near Lamayuru and it is quite a place to visit.
- Comfortably sitting at 3700 m above sea level, there is no denying this place will have an amazing view of the surroundings too.
- People usually visit here whenever they plan on their trip to Lamayuru Monastery.
- Namika La is considered to be an amazing place to stop by and click some pictures.
9. Tanglang La
Tanglang La is another adrenaline-rushing mountain pass of Ladakh where you are going to have a lot of fun. Make sure you are geared up for the thrill.
- This pass lies on the Manali-Leh Highway near Karu and is approximately 108 km from Leh city.
- It offers a scenic beauty that is simply spellbinding and eye-arresting.
- The road here is quite good and you will enjoy riding/ driving around the pass.
- But the altitude of the pass which is 5328 m approximately makes it a challenging traversing session.
10. Fotu La
It might not be as high as a lot of other passes, but you are surely going to love visiting here. But acclimatization is important.
- Fotu La sits at a comfortable 4108 m above sea level on the Srinagar-Leh highway in the Zanskar valley.
- This is also the highest point on the entire highway surpassing the Zoji La pass.
- Fotu La is approximately 129 km from Leh and the road here is absolutely smooth.
- A fun fact about this point is that you can spot a Prasar Bharti television station here on this pass.
11. Pensi La
Not many people know about this mountain pass but it is a quiet and amusing place to visit. And you are going to have a lot of fun.
- Pensi La is approximately 370 km from Leh and is a pass that connects Zanskar with Suru Valley.
- This high-altitude pass is approximately 4400 m above sea level.
12. Taglang La
Taglang La is a stunning mountain pass that offers breathtaking views of the surrounding Himalayan range. The beauty of this pass lies in its rugged terrain, with steep mountain slopes covered in vibrant wildflowers and snow-capped peaks rising majestically in the distance. As you drive along the winding roads that cut through the mountains, you’ll be treated to panoramic vistas that are nothing short of awe-inspiring.
- Taglang La is a high-altitude mountain pass located in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, with an elevation of 5,328 meters (17,582 feet).
- It is one of the highest motorable passes in the world and a popular destination for adventure seekers and nature lovers.
- The pass offers breathtaking views of the surrounding Himalayan range, with snow-capped peaks, rugged mountain slopes, and colorful wildflowers.
- The drive to Taglang La is an adventure in itself, with winding roads that cut through the mountains and stunning vistas at every turn.
- The pass is located on the Leh-Manali highway, which is a crucial road connection for the region.
- Visitors can stop at the pass to take pictures, enjoy the view, and acclimatize to the high altitude.
- The area around Taglang La is also home to several nomadic communities, that herd yaks and other livestock in the mountains.
Did this list just leave you startled? Then just hold on until you reach here because what’s offered here is way better than anything else. To experience and spend time at this amazing place is what a lot of people desire. So if you have enough time and are traveling to Leh-Ladakh, then do not skip on visiting any of these passes. Although, they might fall under the same category of “high-altitude passes in Ladakh” they are so much more than that.
the mountain passes of Ladakh are known for their breathtaking beauty and challenging terrain. These passes play a crucial role in connecting the region to the rest of the country and are a testament to the resilience and adaptability of the people who call Ladakh their home. Whether you are a traveler seeking adventure or a local navigating daily life, the mountain passes of Ladakh offer an unforgettable experience. But before you head here make sure you have the Ladakh entry pass and the documents.