Can we take a trip to Ladakh in May? This is the first thing that comes to our mind when we think about Ladakh in May. Though Ladakh is accessible throughout the year, most people still look for bike trips. And all of it starts from the last week of May. Adventure activities are the USP of Ladakh and one of the major reasons why people visit here.
So if you are planning on a visit to Ladakh, then May can be an ideal time to do it. Therefore, here is a list of some amazing places to visit in Leh Ladakh in May. We have a few names that you can put in your itinerary before heading to this destination.
Here is a list of amazing places to visit in Leh Ladakh in May.
1. Markha Valley
- Markha Valley is popular due to the trek it offers to visitors. It is one of the most popular treks offered in Ladakh.
- The landscape and pristine beauty of Markha Valley is also spellbinding and you will love it.
- Markha Valley trek is done through the Hemis National Park which is also a protected area of the place.
- You can find tents as accommodation options and several homestays too. So, there are no reasons to get worried about this.
- Make sure you do not miss out on the Markha Valley trek which is an easy-moderate trek enjoyed by the trekkers.
2. Turtuk village
- One of those villages in Nubra Valley that offers a pristine and majestic view of the landscapes in Ladakh.
- This is one of the last villages of Ladakh towards the north side before Tibet.
- The Turtuk Village offers a breathtaking view of mighty snow-laden mountains.
- This is the village that turns green during the summer season starting in May. The travelers get to enjoy both faces of Ladakh.
- There are multiple places to stay in Turtuk Village but people still prefer taking a single day trip to this place and then staying at Diskit.
3. Likir Monastery
- Likir Gompa is another amazing destination of Ladakh and the prime attraction of this place is the 75 feet high Maitreya Buddha statue.
- Likir Gompa or Monastery is located on a hill summit that allows visitors to enjoy a beautiful view of the surrounding. If you are an avid photographer, you will love spending time here during May because of the clear sky.
- The gompa is located at 3700 m elevation and is approximately 52 km from Leh.
- One of the most popular festivals of Likir Monastery is the annual event of Dosmochey that is celebrated in the 12th month of the Tibetan culture between the 27th and 29th day of the month’s calendar.
- One of the most popular festivals of Likir Monastery is the annual event of Dosmochey that is celebrated in the 12th month of Tibetan culture between the 27th and 29th day of the month’s calendar.
4. Royal Leh Palace
- The timings to visit the royal Leh Palace is between 7 am and 4 pm and approximately 2 hours will be sufficient here.
- There is a small entry fee at the Royal Palace which is 15 INR for Indians and 100 INR for Foreign Nationals.
- The Leh Palace is believed to be built in the 17th Century by Sengge Namgyal. It is also believed that this palace looks very much similar to the Potala Palace in Lhasa.
- The entire palace is segmented into different parts and one of them is the Leh Palace Museum which has a range of antiques, rich collections of artifacts, and a lot of other things too.
- The palace also has royal family utensils, jewelry, used ceremonial dresses, and a lot of other things on the showcase.
5. Nubra Valley
- Approximately 116 km from Leh City, starts the territory of Nubra Valley which is an amazing place to visit.
- You get to take a ride of the Bactrian Camels which are also known as two-humped camels. They are a rare species to find and in all of India, they can be found in Nubra only.
- The most popular attraction of Nubra Valley is the Diskit Village and the monastery that goes by the same name.
- A 32 ft high Maitreya Buddha statue is the highlight of Diskit Monastery. You can also visit the other amazing villages of the valley including Hundur, Bagdong, and others.
- Even the avid adventurers can find peace in the valley because there are a lot of good activities to enjoy including ziplining, ATV rides, and more.
6. Khardung-la Pass
- It falls approximately 39 km from Leh City and is one of the highest motorable roads in the world.
- Khardung La is located at an astonishing height of 5359 m above sea level and is a thrilling place for visitors due to the view and sheer altitude.
- You will have to obtain an inner line permit to visit the Khardung La point.
- There is a quick suggestion that we would like to provide. If you are going for the first time then do not spend more than 10 minutes in Khardung pass. The astonishing heights of this pass can lead to breathlessness and can be fatal at times.
7. Shanti Stupa
- The best time to visit Shanti Stupa is between 5 am and 9 pm and about an hour is enough to enjoy the attraction in may. Know more about Shanti Stupa.
- It was built in 1914 and is a very important attraction of Ladakh.
- The monument is a symbol of peace and has been built to depict the same thing.
- This is an attraction where people would love to go and stand on the top of the place to witness the beauty of the surrounding.
8. Khardung-la Pass
Khardung-la Pass in Ladakh is still covered in snow, making for a challenging yet rewarding journey for adventure seekers. The scenic vistas are breathtaking.
- The journey to Khardung-la Pass is an adventure in itself, with breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes. In May, the pass may still be covered in snow, adding to the thrill of the journey.
- Khardung-la Pass is surrounded by several scenic trekking routes, offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- May is a great time to go trekking, with moderate temperatures and clear skies.
- The scenic vistas from Khardung-la Pass are a photographer’s paradise, with snow-covered mountains, dramatic landscapes, and clear blue skies.
- May is a great time to capture the beauty of the region.
- Khardung-la Pass is located near several attractions, including the Nubra Valley, Diskit Monastery, and Hundar Sand Dunes.
- Visitors can explore these nearby destinations and learn about the rich culture and history of Ladakh.
- Khardung-la Pass is a popular destination for adventure seekers, with activities such as mountain biking, quad biking, and camel safaris.
- In May, visitors can enjoy these activities in the beautiful surroundings of the pass.
9. Leh Market
In May, the Leh Market in Ladakh is bustling with activity, with vendors selling a variety of local handicrafts, food, and souvenirs. The atmosphere is lively and colorful.
- The market is filled with shops selling a variety of local handicrafts, including traditional Ladakhi clothing, jewelry, and handmade crafts.
- The market is also home to numerous food stalls, offering a range of delicious local delicacies, such as momos, thukpa, and yak cheese.
- Visitors can also find a wide range of souvenirs to take back home, including prayer flags, paintings, and other traditional items.
- The market is a lively and colorful place, with locals and tourists alike mingling and enjoying the vibrant atmosphere.
- May is a great time to visit, as the weather is pleasant and the crowds are manageable.
- The market is located in the heart of Leh town, making it a convenient destination for visitors to explore other nearby attractions, such as the Leh Palace and Shanti Stupa.
As we have already talked about this fact that May is the embarking month of Leh Ladakh. So during this month, there is still a lot that goes up in the city. You can enjoy the amazing beauty of Ladakh and keep an eye on the weather forecast as well.
We would suggest that if you wish to enjoy the adventure activities that are offered in Ladakh then either make your plans in the last week of May or from the first week of June. Also if you are planning to ride your bike on the Manali Leh highway then visiting Leh Ladakh would be a bummer for you. That’s because it doesn’t reopen until the second week of June.
See Also: Best time to visit Leh Ladakh | Places to visit in Leh Ladakh in September
Top 6 tourist places to visit in Ladakh | Hidden places to visit in Leh Ladakh
Places to visit in Leh Ladakh for honeymoon | Leh Ladakh in May