True, the azure lakes of Ladakh are eye-captivating but that doesn’t mean the rivers of Ladakh are any less gorgeous and deep. The gurgling water of Ladakhi Rivers is clear, cold, and wrathful at some points. Many places in Ladakh offer the amazing activity of water rafting, white water rafting, and the popular Chadar Trek.
Ladakh has always been a place for adventurers and nature lovers. Rivers in the newly made UT makes that simply unfathomable. There are some interesting facts about some rivers too. Want to check them all out?
Here is the list of amazing rivers in Ladakh in 2022:
1. Zanskar River
- This is the river located in Zanskar Valley and the very place where people enjoy frozen river trekking also known as Chadar Trek.
- While you take the trek, you feel like water flowing under your feet. That’s because just the top layer of the river freezes and water flows under.
- If you are taking the Chadar Trek you will have to face the altitude and approximately -20 degrees celsius.
- But we would suggest that before you leave for the trek, do take a look at the weather and news. Due to global warming, it has been a few years that the Chadar Formation on the river is not quite doable. It is thin and it has to be thick enough for a person or a group to walk on it.
- If you have someone known or you can call the officials or the agency that offers Chadar Trek to the people; it will be better to know right from them. They would guide you better if Chadar Trekking is possible or not.
- This adventurous trek is one that many adventurers love doing. And it is suggested that before you make the trek, spend at least 2 days in Leh. That would help in acclimatizing according to the altitude and temperature drop.
- If visiting in summers, the entire valley will have a different sight but that too will be breathtaking.
2. Shyok River
- It offers a breathtaking view of the valley.
- The river flows parallel to the route from Nubra to Pangong Tso.
- It offers a river rafting experience to the people who wish for it.
- The river originates from Rimo Glacier
- One can find various pit stops along the river to enjoy maggie, tea, and other things.
- You can trek along the river and enjoy the verdant beauty spread around the place.
3. Indus River
- Indus River holds a lot of religious importance for the locals of Ladakh.
- This sacred river also offers the adventurous activity of river rafting in the Zanskar Region.
- You can enjoy a trek at some places around the Indus River.
- It is believed that around the river in Ladakh, there are a lot of places where Gurus and Saints have devoted themselves to the Lord.
4. Nubra River
- It is a mesmerizing place where you can spend a lot of time with your friends. The serenity and adventure, offered around the Nubra River are simply amazing.
- Do not miss out on taking the camel ride along the river. Yes, the double-humped camel.
- The scenic view of the valley and the mountains are beautiful.
- The river curves through the valley to make it a perfect river hiking trail for the bikers. People do prefer sitting here and enjoying their time.
4. Stod River
- It is also known as the Doda River and one of the best places to camp in the Zanskar Valley during summers.
- It is one of the longest rivers in the Leh District which is 79 km long.
- This river is also known to be the source of the Zanskar River.
- You can look at the amazing view of the Zanskar Valley throughout the route of Stok River.
5. Suru River
- It is an important river that is a tributary of the Indus River.
- Suru River flows through the Kargil District of Ladakh.
- Along the banks is the riding/ driving trail for adventure lovers.
- You move along the river enjoying the view of the valley as well as the surroundings.
6. The Gallowan River
- The Gallowan River flows through China and enters the Indian territory through Ladakh.
- It is 80 km long and flows to the Shyok River which is also its terminal.
7. Drass River
- This is the river that forms in the Great Himalayas under the Zoji La pass.
- The river flows in the Kargil district and has a total flowing length of 86 km.
- Drass River gets merged in the Suru River at the end.
8. Tsarap River
- The Tsarap River flows through the rugged Zanskar Valley.
- But you cannot rest or stay here. Just pass by to the other place where you want to visit.
- The sunrise or sunset around this river is beautiful and you will love the view.
9. Shingo River
- The river flows from Srinagar to Kargil and is a good sight to watch. It flows along the mountains making its way through.
- You can enjoy a beautiful view of the surroundings and not to forget that the trail offers a lot of challenging trails.
- While you ride along the river for quite some time, it will show you the real beauty of this place. Don’t make the mistake to not stop for a while and clicking some pictures. There are several enchanting places where you can stop and click some pics for your social media timeline.
These were the unknown intriguing facts about the rivers in Ladakh. But there is so much more to it. Not only does this information help in spotting these natural amusing places but also to enjoy here. Several adventure lovers visit here for their time and the memories that they make around here. Ladakh is all about memories, natural vistas, adventure, bike trips, and natural beauty.
There are multiple other things that you can enjoy at this newly made union territory of India but that only adds to its beauty. These rivers offer more than just water sports in Ladakh, and they should be visited.
See Also: Lakes in Ladakh