Awe-inspiring natural beauty and unique culture are two things that Leh Ladakh is popular for. Snow-clad mountain summits, high-altitude passes, challenging roads, and a host of adventure activities are also the identity of this amazing destination. And then there are multiple alpine lakes, gurgling rivers, and tons of excitement that can make your trip absolutely amazing. Therefore if you are looking for an exciting trip to Ladakh, you must be looking for amazing offbeat things that can be done in Ladakh.
See Also: Best time to visit Ladakh
This blog is all about the things that can be enjoyed in Ladakh. So, take a moment and quickly go through the things that can be done in Ladakh. We assure you that there would be multiple activities of Ladakh in this blog- that you would definitely want to try at least once.
These are the best things to do in Leh Ladakh in 2022
1. Enjoy a Jeep Safari to Ladakh
- Although, a bike trip to Leh Ladakh is what interests most people needless to say that Jeep Safari is also an amazing activity to perform while visiting this paradisical land.
- You must have a 4×4 vehicle to enjoy the Jeep Safari in Ladakh because that way you won’t get stuck in any of the terrains or challenging roads of Ladakh.
- People need to obtain the Inner Line Permit for visiting certain protected areas in Ladakh and you should also get your jeep registered.
- The best routes in Ladakh where you can enjoy Jeep Safari are Manali to Leh, Kargil-Suru Valley-Zanskar,
- Nubra Valley via Khardung La, Srinagar to Leh, and Leh-Pangong Lake-Tso Moriri.
- The best time to enjoy Jeep Safari in Leh Ladakh is between June and September as this is the time when Zoji La and Rohtang La re-opened.
2. Cycling in Leh Ladakh
- Like any other activity offered by Leh Ladakh, mountain biking is also something that you will love to indulge in.
- The adventurous roads of Ladakh inject a sense of thrill and amusement in the visitors as they pedal their way through the valleys.
- If you want to enjoy this sport, the best place are Spangmik Man, Merak, Changla, Pangong Tso, Leh to
- Namgyal Tsemo, Leh to Shanti Stupa and Sankar Gompa, Wari La, Nubra Valley.
- The best time for Mountain Biking is between May and September when the snow melts away and people get a chance to cycle through the mountain passes.
- There are multiple biking tours that require trekking as well, so get complete knowledge before you plan to take down a route.
3. Trekking in Leh Ladakh
- Another popular and daunting activity of Leh Ladakh is trekking and lots of people enjoy this sport throughout their trip.
- Chadar Trek which is also known as frozen river trek is something that many people love to take during winter seasons. It happens to be one of a kind trekking expedition where trekkers have to walk on the frozen river.
- If you are visiting the protected areas in Ladakh, you will have to obtain the Inner Line Permit or Protected Area Permit to access the areas. Apart from that, you do not have to get any kind of pass or permit for Ladakh.
- Keep in mind that most of the trekking trails of Ladakh are either moderate or extreme and one has to carry all the basic trekking gear to enjoy this activity in Ladakh.
- The best time to enjoy trekking is between June and October but if you want to take the winter trek you can visit here between November and January.
4. Explore the National Parks of Ladakh
- Ladakh boasts a unique collection of Flora and Fauna that’s interesting to explore. One of the finest places to visit for this is the Hemis National Park.
- Hemis National Park is also the largest park in India when it comes to the area covered. There are some species of flora and fauna that cannot be found anywhere else.
- Wildlife enthusiasts spend days visiting the park in hope of spotting the popular snow leopard.
- It is also a heaven for bird watchers because they can find species like Himalayan griffon vulture, Black-winged snow finch, Lammergeier vulture, Golden Eagle, and Himalayan snowcock to name some.
- Apart from the snow leopard, wildlife enthusiasts and explorers visiting the national park can enjoy sightings of Eurasian brown bear, Mountain weasel, Himalayan mouse hare, Argali (Great Tibetan Sheep), Shapu, and Great Tibetan Wolf to name some.
- The other attractions that people can visit are the Karakoram Wildlife Sanctuary, Changthang Cold, and Desert Wildlife Sanctuary.
- The best time to visit the wildlife sanctuary is during the winter months that is between November and February.
5. Camel Safari of the cold desert in Leh Ladakh
- Taking a camel safari in the cold desert of Ladakh is another adrenaline-rushing activity that many adventure seekers love to indulge in.
- It happens in the Nubra Valley and only here. Apart from this place you can only enjoy yak safari at other places.
- Here in Nubra Valley, you get to enjoy the safari of the Bactrian Camel which is also known as the double-humped camel. One of the rarest species of Camels found in Nubra Valley only.
- You can stay at Diskit and enjoy the camel safari and the view of the dunes during your stay.
6. Bike Ride to Explore Leh Ladakh
- Either reaching or exploring- bike trips in Leh Ladakh are surely going to give you a great time.
- The high-altitude roads and challenging passes make this sport thrilling and exciting. Many people enjoy it as the prime activity in Leh Ladakh.
- The best time to enjoy a motorbike ride in Leh Ladakh is between May and September when Ladakh becomes a bit comfortable and the snow melts away.
- The best places to ride a motorcycle in Ladakh are around Pangong Tso, Khardung La, Chang La, Tso Moriri,
- Nubra Valley, Zanskar Valley, Zoji La, Kargil, Lamayuru, and throughout the Srinagar- Leh highway & Manali-Leh highway.
7. Camping in Ladakh
- From leisure to adventure camping, everything is available in multiple destinations in Ladakh.
- With unmatched comfort and an exciting do-over, camping in Ladakh is something that people love the most.
- Eventually, with all the excitement and thrill, Ladakh is known to be one of the prime locations for adventure enthusiasts to enjoy this activity.
- You can also enjoy this activity with multiple nomadic tribes that reside in different locations across Ladakh.
- The best places to enjoy camping in Ladakh include the Zanskar Valley, Pangong Tso, Hunder Village in Nubra Valley, Tso Moriri, Thiksey, and a few other places.
8. River Rafting in Leh Ladakh
- One of the most adventurous activities to enjoy in Leh Ladakh is river rafting.
- Two of the most popular places to enjoy this activity in the union territory are Zanskar and Indus Rivers.
- Some of the best places to get yourself injected with an adrenaline rush are given below.
|Stretch for rafting||Grades of the current|
|Phey to Indus||III to V|
|Nimmoo to Alchi||III+|
|Phey to Nimmoo||II and III|
|Alchi to Khaltsey||II and III|
|Upshi to Karu||I and II|
9. Try local foods in Leh Ladakh
- The local cuisines in Leh Ladakh are also worth your while. If you are a food lover who is visiting Ladakh, there are multiple delicacies and drinks that you can try here.
- From mouth-watering non-veg items to an array of vegetarian dishes, there are a lot of things that Ladakh is popular for.
- Some of the best dishes that can be tried here include Momos, Khambir, Mokthuk, Thenktuk, Tapu, Paba, Thukpa, Apricot Jam, Chhupri, Gur Gur Chai, and Chhang.
Ladakh and adventure activities cannot be separated because they are like adjectives to each other. If you are wanting to visit this amusing destination then this list can help you in sorting a lot of things. Not only do you get the list of adventure activities that can be done in Ladakh by adventure seekers but some information regarding each activity.
You can enjoy all of this if you have the right location. And in this blog, we have given all the information regarding the best places where you can enjoy a particular sport or activity.