If someone asked you which is the most intriguing and important thing about Ladakh. There will not be any definite answer to this question. The reason is offerings that a person can enjoy while visiting Ladakh. The challenging roads, festivals, culture, and valleys- all of it makes sense whenever there is a conversation related to Ladakh. But are you planning on a visit to Ladakh?
Do you have more than a week? Then why don’t you plan to visit the amazing and mesmerizing valleys of Ladakh? There are some of the best valleys in the world that can be witnessed here. Challenging and adrenaline-rushing activities, spellbinding beauty, and several other things constitute together to make Ladakh a beautiful place.
Here, we have listed a few famous and must-visit valleys in Leh Ladakh
1. Markha Valley
- One of the finest and most popular valleys of Ladakh that boasts its pristine beauty is the Markha Valley.
- It is approximately 34 km from Leh city and easily accessible through land too.
- The valley is popular due to the amazing landscape and the Markha Trek.
- There are multiple villages that you can come across while traversing through the valley including Rumbak, Skiu, Sara, Shingo, Markha, and Hankar.
- You can take the trek to enjoy exploring these villages, fort ruins, and beautifully designed monasteries.
- This valley is also one of the best in the trekker’s community due to the challenge it has one offer.
- Explore the villages, talk to the villagers, have the local cuisines, understand their culture, festivals and add memories to your journey.
- Click pictures of Rumbak and Nimaling forts are also the two most important attractions of the valley.
- If you are a history buff, this valley will interest you because the ruins of forts that you get here are amongst the oldest.
- Kangyatse is one of the highest peaks of the valley and enjoying the view from up here is simply inexplicable.
2. Indus Valley
- Indus Valley gains its importance due to the historic remains that are found here.
- It is one of the historic places in all of Ladakh and you can learn a lot about the Indus Valley civilization of India.
- From peaceful beauty to historic culture, a valley is a place for all kinds of learning.
- This place is still home to the people related to the Indus Valley civilization, the oldest known to mankind.
- The distance of this valley from Leh city is approximately 35 km and you can reach here via roadways.
- One can also enjoy multiple trekking options including Likkir and Temisgong which are apt for beginners as well as professionals too. The view and challenge offered by the valley are quite amazing.
- The best time to visit the valley is between June and mid-October. During these months not only do you enjoy the activities but the view is also amazing due to the clear sky.
3. Nubra Valley
- Nubra is the most visited valley in Ladakh because of its beauty and being home to some amazing attractions too.
- It is the gateway to a lot of amazing places including Diskit which stands amongst the best attractions of Ladakh.
- Nubra Valley is approximately 116 km from Leh and that’s the starting point of the valley where Diskit is situated.
- To reach here, one has to cross the majestic and daunting Khardung La peak which is amongst the highest motorable roads in the world.
- Nubra is the tri-armed valley located in North-East Ladakh. It is nestled between Karakoram Range and Saltoro.
- The best thing about the valley is the flowers that bloom here during the summer season. Nubra is also known as the valley of flowers that stands approximately 3048 m above sea level.
- Nubra Valley is also known for the rare camel species of the white desert. Yes, you find the Bactrian Camel here which is also known as the double-humped camels.
- Nubra Valley is popular for its colorful monasteries, flower beds, orchids, diverse culture, villages and so much more.
4. Sham Valley
- Sham Valley is approximately 75 km from Leh city and an amazing destination to visit.
- There are a lot of amazing attractions, villages, and other things that fall in this valley. Needless to say that this valley is a trekker’s paradise in all forms.
- The valley constitutes Basgo, Alchi, Likir, Nimmo, Gurudwara Pather Sahib, and even Magnetic Hills.
- There are multiple trekking trails in the valley that intrigues a lot of visitors, especially seasoned trekkers.
- The best time to visit Sham Valley is between May and October when the temperature is quite comfortable for trekking and sightseeing.
5. Zanskar Valley
- Apart from nature’s beauty, Zanskar Valley is known for a lot of other things too.
- There are multiple trekking trails that people enjoy during their visit to the valley and that’s not it.
- Zanskar Valley is also popular for the frozen river trek that happens in the months of winter which is December and January. It is also known as Chadar Trek and one of a kind that happens on the Zanskar River when it freezes.
- There are a few cave monasteries that interest a lot of visitors, especially explorers. If you consider yourself to be one of them, then head to the Zanskar Valley.
- Suru Valley is also considered to be a part of Zanskar and while people plan to visit here, they also trek at the Suru Valley too.
- Another amazing thing that you can enjoy here is the river rafting experience which is going to be adrenaline-rushing.
- However, trekking accounts for most visitors throughout the year and this is why most people visit here.
6. Ripchar Valley
- If you are a new trekker then Ripchar Valley is going to be a great place for you to visit because the options related to this are innumerable.
- Where other valleys in Ladakh offer difficult trekking trails to the people, this one will go easy on you.
- One of the most famous attractions of Ripchar Valley is Lamayuru; then be it the monastery, valley, or village.
- The most visited trek trail here starts from Prinkiti La and ends at Wan La. The entire trek remains generous and easy so, even if you do not have all the expertise, you will still feel comfortable trekking here.
7. Dha Hanu Valley
- There are multiple valleys in Ladakh and most of them are barren or deserted. But this is not true for all of them.
- Apart from Nubra Valley, we have already mentioned above, Dha Hanu is a greener valley showcasing the greener side of Ladakh.
- The two main attractions of the valley are Dah and Hanu. The people here are known to be related to Drokpas and have a diverse culture.
- The best time to visit here is between June and August when the green beauty of the valley is at its best and most.
- The lush green beauty of the valley surrounded by majestic backdrops makes visiting Dha Hanu Valley simply enchanting and worth it.
If you are planning an adventurous trip to Ladakh, then do not miss out on visiting these valleys. There are already multiple reasons that we have listed for you to visit here. Ensure that you put at least a couple of valleys in your itinerary to visit.
See Also: Things to do in Ladakh