As exciting as it may sound, Ladakh calls for a lot of responsibility as well. One has to take care of a lot of things. From fuel stations to accommodations, enthralling and challenging roads to things that have to be packed on your Ladakh bike trip. All of this has to be kept in mind while preparing your itinerary and plans of visiting Ladakh.
People get too excited when they start their preparations and that’s the reason why many forget the essential items. From clothes to moisturizers. Everything is important because even in June when the entire nation experiences a hot climate, Ladakh can give you chills with a cool breeze. The high altitude of this UT makes it a cooler place even with the scorching sun. And there can be nights when you will have to take a couple of warm blankets to keep yourself warm.
Anyhow, coming onto the packing tips, here are some important things that you will have to keep in mind and your bag.
Things you should pack for the Ladakh bike trip without a miss
1. Cotton T-Shirts
- It is always better to wear clothes in layers and having a few thin cotton t-shirts can act as a brilliant layer.
- If you wear it as your second or first layer, it can also act as a sweat absorber giving you added comfort.
- Wearing light clothes under your jacket or woolen clothes will allow you to wear more layers making it a great barrier. Because the chilly winds even in summers can be dangerous.
- Moreover, don’t rely on cotton clothes too much even if you are visiting here during the summer seasons. That’s because even in summer, you will have those chills at night.
- When you visit attractions at higher altitude or ride your bike through Drass and Zojila; getting chills up your spine is going to be important.
2. Jeans and Trousers
- Be it the challenge offered by the road or the total distance, wearing comfortable jeans and trousers is going to be the right thing to do.
- If comfortable, wear two layers of jeans or trousers so that you do not feel cold while you cross Kashmir.
- Those who have to ride pants can wear them too. This will give them added safety.
- Make sure the jeans or trousers you wear should be comfortable even after wearing the knee guards which is of utmost importance.
3. Woolen Socks and Gloves
- Although it is better to wear woolen socks, not everyone is comfortable wearing them.
- Also make sure that when you wear woolen socks, your feet grip do not take a toss. Whenever you put your foot down, it should give you the grip that’s needed.
- But gloves are very important for you to have. Do not skip wearing them. Rather than wearing woolen gloves, it is better to choose riding gloves.
- But the best gloves are those that are waterproof. You should keep warm. There are many riding gloves that have both these things.
4. Wind-Waterproof Jacket
- Though Ladakh falls in the rain shadow zone, it still drizzles at some places and if you get wet, it might ruin your entire bike ride trip to Ladakh.
- Therefore, the jacket you wear last should be wind-waterproof.
- Winds in Ladakh, even during the summer season, are very cold and if it penetrates your clothes, you might get sick.
- This will keep you away from catching a cold or any other cold-related problems.
- While riding your bike to Ladakh there would be a lot of places that are situated at a higher altitude. While passing through these destinations you won’t want to catch a cold. This is when a wind or waterproof jacket would work as your saviour.
- Sun can be quite harsh at times in Ladakh and that’s the reason why visiting here without a sunscreen lotion can become a challenge.
- Every uncovered patch of your skin is prone to getting tans and even burns at times. If you want to keep yourself away from any of these problems, sunscreen is necessary.
- Prefer getting a lotion with the highest SPF to protect your skin from any problems.
- While applying the sunscreen just prevent the lotion from touching your eyes and entering your mouth and nose.
- Even if you are moving out of your hotel for a leisure walk, we would suggest that you do not miss out on applying sunscreen on your body, especially for the face. It is a must.
6. Cap, Hats, or Beanies
- While going on an outdoor tour or a sightseeing tour, a cap is important because it covers your eyes from direct sunlight.
- Apart from the daytime, it is better to wear a monkey cap or a Balaclava because it will keep you warm and covered.
- Wearing a hat or beanie is also an option for you during the daytime.
- If you want an added warmer for your neck after having a high neck warmer, then a muffler is the best thing for you. It will be comfortable and will keep you warm throughout the motorbike trip to Ladakh.
8. 1 light jacket
- Keep a light jacket in your backpack too. You can wear it while sightseeing or while traversing to Ladakh.
- Although you will have to wear warmer and heavier clothes after reaching Srinagar, still having a light jacket gives you an option when it gets hotter.
9. 2 Pairs of thermal inners
- Have extra thermal inners in your backpack and the reason is the changing weather. Ladakh’s climate can change abruptly and it can become colder even on a sunny bright day in a matter of hours. Once you have the inners you can wear them whenever it is needed.
Eyeglasses, moisturizers, Lip Balm, creme, oil, and toiletries are also some important things that should be carried on your motorcycle trip to Ladakh. All of these things will help in keeping your skin and hair better. Carry the products as per your skin and hair quality.