Are you planning for a trip to the amazing island destination of the world- Maldives? But want to enjoy everything on a budget? Most people have the impression that because Maldives is a luxurious place, it has to be expensive. But if you are reading this blog, we are going to make this statement go south right in front of you. We have listed multiple islands in this blog where you can head because these are the best local islands in Maldives where not many people visit.
Here is a small list of famous local islands in the Maldives
1. Fuvahmulah Island
- Fuvahmulah Island is located between Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll and Addu Atoll. To reach here you can take an airplane to Fuvahmulah Airport.
- Visitors love to enjoy the freshness, serenity, and rejuvenating atmosphere of this island. The local food of the island is simply luscious.
- The other highlight of this island is the native bird and fish species that aren’t found anywhere else except for this island.
- Fuvahmulah Island also is one of those rare places that house freshwater lakes making it more adorable and popular amongst nature lovers.
- Banging beach, Kattelhi, and Valikukulhu, are the names of the highlights of the island. It comprises the amazing beach, fish species, and bird names that are native here.
- You can take a trip to this wonderful island of Maldives and enjoy the offerings. It is surely one of the best local islands of Maldives and yes, quite extensively visited too.
2. Maafushi Island
- Located on the Kaafu Atoll which is approximately 27 km from Male airport- Maafushi Island is an interesting place to visit.
- It wouldn’t be wrong to say that Maafushi Island is amongst the best and most popular local islands in Maldives.
- The length of the island is approximately 1 km and its width being 265 m only. It is still one of the largest local islands and the residence of Kaafu Atoll.
- Don’t worry, you might not get 5-star resorts or hotels on this island but there are quite a few amazing hotels here. If you are planning to stay at the island overnight then we have a few names you can book your accommodations in. They are Triton Beach Hotel And Spa, Arena Beach Hotel, and Zest Cabana.
- It is accessible through a speed boat, and it takes only 45 minutes to reach here from Male.
- One can take sandbank tours at this island with their partner and enjoy it all day long.
- Maafushi Island is one of the best places if you want to explore the local culture of Maldives.
- A unique thing about this island is that it offers night and day fishing activities. And there are so many other activities that can be enjoyed here too.
- Some of the best things to do in Maafushi island include water skiing, flyboarding, wakeboarding, parasailing, kneeboarding, and windsurfing to name some.
3. Thulusdhoo Island
- Thulusdhoo is another local island which is approximately 28 km from Male and is also the capital of Kaafu Atoll.
- There are approximately 1400 people who live on the island and still it looks so comfortable and spacious for the visitors when they spend time here.
- You can also visit the industrial sector of the Maldives because there are a lot of factories that have been set up here. You can take a quick tour of those places.
- Additionally, there are barrier blocks as well as breakwaters that are built on the coast of the island.
- You can take the Villingili ferry from Male every day at 2:30 pm as it is a cheap commuting option for travelers.
- Although, speedboats are also available from Male to the island that commute now and then.
- You can enjoy a lot of amazing activities including surfing, speed boating, snorkeling, Wakeboarding, and Paddling board.
- You can also take a day trip to Sand Bank and enjoy the sunset and go for the dolphin excursion.
- One of the most interesting things to do on Thulusdhoo Island is to take a cycle tour of the entire place.
4. Dhigurah Island
- The first thing about Dhigurah Island is that this place is known as the “Wild Maldives” because you get to enjoy the raw beauty of this place.
- Dolphin and whale spotting here in the island is quite extensive and frequent. You get to enjoy the real beauty of the Indian Ocean because it is in the raw state on this island.
- The island is located in the South Ari Atoll and is approximately 100 km from the international airport of Male.
- The length of the island is approximately 3 km and the width is calculated to be approximately 250 meters.
- One amazing fact about this island is that you can find a sandbank here. Romantic dinners and family picnics or even solo dinners are arranged by the hotel people here. It feels beautiful and rejuvenating.
- If you want to take a sip of alcohol while enjoying your trip to the Maldives, then prefer not to stay at Dhigurah Island.
- You need to follow the dress code while visiting the town of Dhigurah.
- You can enjoy spotting whale sharks here.
These local islands are exciting to visit with some of the other interesting things that differentiate them from one another. You can visit all these places during your next trip, and if at all you love island hopping. So, now let’s tell you a fun fact you can stay at any of these islands at under 8000 INR. But yes, you will have to miss out on the luxurious side of Maldives and all the hyped things. But isn’t that the reason why we wrote this blog for you?
So, now you are aware of places where you can visit on your next trip to Maldives and if you are not wanting to spend too much here. These islands are pristine and equally beautiful except for the man-made beauty which is more or less the monuments and resorts. So decide wisely based on what you want from your destination.