What comes to your head, as soon as you hear the word, “Maldives?” Is it the beach, or the islands, or the water sports? Or is a vacation having all these things together? Whatever it may be, you are surely going to enjoy your time whenever you are here. Also, you get acquainted with the list of enthralling activities that are offered here.
Visiting the Maldives is a great experience for everyone. If you are looking for those islands which will give you a great time, then the list is given below. Not only will you get amazing food to eat, and water activities to enjoy but a lot more than that. So, let’s get started!
Here is a list of the Biggest 5 Islands in Maldives
1. Maafushi Island
- One of the biggest islands of Maldives is Maafushi Island which is 12 km long and 265 km wide.
- It offers a range of property options to stay.
- This is one of the best islands to visit because of all the good reasons and one can find multiple things to enjoy here.
- Maafushi is also the largest local island in the Maldives of Kaafu Atoll.
- One can also enjoy multiple activities such as diving, snorkeling, and many others.
- You can simply take a speedboat from Male to Maldives and enjoy your time here.
- It is approximately 26 km from Male International Airport. Also, the island is easily accessible from Male.
- You can enjoy all the luxuries and water activities offered by the Maldives.
2. Hithadhoo Island
- Hithadhoo Island covers an approximation of 5.4 sq. km. which makes it the second-largest island in the Maldives.
- Even though Hithadhoo Island is one of the best and obviously largest because we mention it in our blog- you will have a great time here. And it is not pricey here.
- To explore the entire island, you can hire a scooty or a bicycle or even go in a taxi.
- The entire island has approximately 12,000 residents and still, it feels so vacant and peaceful.
- The nearest airstrip to the island is Gan International Airport which is approximately 13 km away. You can easily access the island from the airport.
- The resorts on this island offer a range of activities to visitors and you also get to enjoy a few amazingly done resorts here.
- If you wish to explore and enjoy the rejuvenating environment of Maldives then head straight to this island and you will feel the amusement at its best.
- Moreover, it isn’t going to be very expensive here because you do get a lot of comfortable options that are budget-friendly.
3. Gan Island
- Gan is the largest island in the Maldives and it stretches to 14 km in length and 295 km in width.
- It is approximately 258 km away from Male.
- The nearest airport to the island is Male International and people take seaplanes to the island.
- Gan Atoll is situated in the beautiful Addo Atoll which is yet another secluded region of Maldives because it isn’t developed so much as the others in the country.
- This is also the southernmost atoll which is why it is known to be one of the most secluded islands of the Atoll and Maldives.
- But Gan Island often attracts a lot of visitors towards itself and one of the most important reasons why is the range of watersports. Yes, you heard that right!
- Gan Island is one of the best places to enjoy watersports and yes probably amongst the most popular ones too.
- From snorkeling to diving to other watersports; there are many water sports to enjoy.
- And just because this island is a bit secluded don’t mistake it with ones that have nothing to offer. In addition to the things that we have listed above, you also get a few luxury resorts to enjoy your vacation.
4. Dhidhdhoo Island
- The island is 2 km in length and 0.72 km in width but is equipped with a range of water activities that are offered in the country.
- Hanimaadhoo International Airport is the nearest to the island and it is approximately 17 km from the island. You will face no problems in commuting.
5. Naifaru Island
- 0.56 sq. km is the total area covered by Naifaru Island.
- Dharavandhoo Airport which is approximately 38 km away from the island is the nearest.
- And if you are traveling from the international airport of Maldives- Male then in that case you will have to travel for 144 km.
- While visiting the other islands of Lhaviyani Atoll, you will get to see that Naifaru is the most crowded of them all. Maybe because it is the capital of this Atoll.
- There are 120 shops and markets in the entire island serving the entire Atoll populace.
- From food joints to handicraft shops, there is quite a range of shops that are here and you get shops offering souvenir options as well.
- The entire island is a gem and that is not only because of the natural beauty. You get warm-hearted people, so much enjoyment, stores, and get to explore the entire island on a cruise.
- Upon understanding the people here, you will get to know that the entire island has a great influence of British, Islam, and Buddhism. All three of these prevail here in Naifaru Island.
- You can take a speedboat to reach the island quickly.
- The island is full of amazing activities and the beautiful view throughout the place is normal.
Maldives is surely a great destination and there is no doubt about it. Some of the islands of this archeology have amazing sights, whereas the others are equipped with luxury and royal resorts. So, it isn’t wrong to say that Maldives is a place for everyone. It has something for everyone in terms of luxury as well as the type of travelers.
So, if you want to explore the bigger islands of Maldives then you have the entire list of places to visit. These are some of the best and biggest islands of Maldives and you are sure to have an amazing time here. Make sure you don’t miss out on the good food and luxuries being offered. So put them on your list.
See Also: Best Island in Maldives