It would not be wrong to say that Manali is a land of contrast. There is something for everyone to enjoy here. From adventure lovers to those who have a thing for nature, each one of them can have a great time here. If you are visiting Manali with your family, rest assured that you too will get your share of happiness and joy at the hill station.
See Also: Best time to visit Manali
With such an extensive list of things to do in Manali, it was difficult to put down a list of top activities. But yet again we have successfully compiled a list of places where you can enjoy. This is a prime and ideal list of things to do in Manali for people of all age groups.
Here are the top 5 Things to do in Manali when you visit this picturesque hill town.
1. Mountain trekking – Hike to the alpine lake Chandra Taal
Visiting any hill station in Himachal Pradesh and not taking a trekking expedition will be a total bummer. And we would not let you do that. There are a few amazing trekking trails in and around Manali that can be taken by the visitors. So, here are some treks that can be enjoyed during your visit.
|Name of the trek||Total trek distance||Highest altitude achieved (in ft.)||No. of days required for the trek|
|Hampta Pass Trek||35 km||14,039||6 days|
|Beas Kund Trek||16 km||12,772||3 days|
|Bhrigu Lake Trek||25 km||14,100||5 days|
|Chanderkhani Trek||19 km||12,000||4 days|
|Bara Bhangal Trek||80 km||16,000||11 days|
You can opt-in for any of these treks but there are a lot of things that you will have to keep in mind. What all you should pack while going for the trek, do you require any permission or not? What things should you pack? And so on.
2. Manali Gompa shopping – Find handicrafts at a Tibetan monastery
The existence of Manali Gompas is because of the population of Buddhists in and around the area. They are one of the finest attractions of the hill station attracting a lot of people throughout the year. Gadhan Thekchhokling Gompa is one of the prime locations which is also the other name of the monastery.
One of the best parts of the Gompa is its shopping complex offering handicrafts and other handmade items. If you wish to buy some souvenirs you can head to these complexes and get your bags full.
3. Mountain biking – Cycle the challenging route to Leh
Manali is often connected with Leh and when you talk about the adventurous road between these two destinations things become interesting. A lot of people enjoy taking a trek in and around the valley. But others take their adventure to an all-new level. Mountain Biking is another enthralling sport. But as exciting as it may sound, one has to be very careful and responsible on this expedition.
If you are already interested in mountain biking between Manali and Leh, here is a list of important things you will have to keep in mind.
Route: Manali- Rohtang La- Baralacha La- Nakee La- Tanglang La- Leh
There are other small villages and passes that would come along the way. Make sure you take note of these points.
- Total time is taken- On average a fit person takes 12-14 days from one side. Considering the stoppages and resting breaks the time can reduce or increase accordingly.
- You should also acclimatize properly before leaving for the expedition.
- It is important to keep a bag full of fruits, dry fruits, water, and juices at least. Because you will be needing a lot of energy and carbs on the way.
4. Alpine lake trek – Camp out near a high-altitude lake
There is one alpine lake in or around Manali that people love to conquer and that’s the already mentioned Bhrigu Lake. People enjoy taking a trekking expedition here because that fills them with thrill and treats the eyes with a beautiful nature view. Here is a handy guide about the alpine lake trek to help you with your vows.
- Name of the trek- Bhrigu Lake Trek
- Total trek distance- 25 km
- Total time is taken- 5 days approximately (by a fit person)
- The highest altitude attained- was 14,100 ft.
- Best time to take the trek- Between October and December
- Route: Manali- Gulaba- Rola Kholi- Bhrigu (and the same route to be followed while coming back. People usually take a car or taxi from Manali to Gulaba)
- Cost of the entire trek- The entire expedition takes about 7000 INR per head
- Keep all the medicines, needful trek equipment, a map, and all your documents.
This is one of the best treks and probably amongst the most loved ones amongst the trekkers. They love and enjoy the entire expedition because of the thrill it has on offer as well as the panoramic view.
5. Waterfall picnic – Have a picnic at Rahala Falls
One of the best family vacation spots in Manali are the waterfalls in and around the valley. People hailing from cities love to spend their time around the falls. That’s because these are soothing and calming. Here are some blissful waterfalls where you can enjoy in Manali.
|Name of the waterfalls||Distance from Manali||Height of the waterfall|
|Rahala Waterfalls||28 km||9000 ft|
|Knoi Waterfalls||10 km||20 ft|
|Jogini Waterfalls||2 km||160 ft|
|Rozy Waterfalls||28 km||3890 ft|
|Jana Waterfalls||33 km||7480 ft|
Tip: All these waterfalls are open 24*7 for tourists and they can enjoy their time here whenever they want. The best part of the day is between 10 am- and 5 pm. Also, it is advised to take your camera, hiking shoes, and other equipment to make your trip memorable.
This is a list of things to do in Manali that will surely give you a chill in the spine and loads of enjoyment. There are many things that you will have to keep in mind in certain activities. Make sure you take precautions in certain activities and do get your check-up done. We will keep updating our list so keep coming back to know more about the same.
See Also: Things to do in Mussoorie