Munnar is a charming hill station located in the Western Ghats of Kerala. April is one of the best times to visit Munnar as the weather is pleasant, the skies are clear, and the tea plantations are in full bloom. The lush green hills, misty mountains, cascading waterfalls, and diverse flora and fauna make Munnar a nature lover’s paradise.
In this guide, we will help you plan your trip to Munnar in April 2023 by providing useful information about the best time to visit, top attractions, accommodation options, transportation, and more. Whether you are looking for a peaceful retreat or an adventure-packed holiday, Munnar has something to offer for everyone.
Is April a good time to visit Munnar?
Yes, April is a great time to visit Munnar as the weather is pleasant, and the tea plantations are in full bloom. The average temperature in Munnar during April ranges from 15°C to 25°C, making it an ideal time to explore the outdoors and enjoy the scenic beauty of the region.
Second and third weeks are considered to be the most favorable. During this time, the weather is comfortable, and the crowds are relatively lower compared to the first and fourth weeks, which are peak tourist seasons.
Cheapest Time to Visit Munnar in April
April is one of the peak tourist seasons in Munnar, so it may be challenging to find the cheapest deals on accommodations, transportation, and activities. However, the first week of April, immediately after the peak tourist season ends, may offer slightly lower prices for travel and accommodations.
Munnar Weather and Temperature in April
In April, the average temperature in Munnar ranges from 15°C to 25°C, with relatively low humidity levels of around 70%.
While the weather is generally pleasant, sudden showers and thunderstorms are common during this time. To deal with the heat and humidity, it’s important to stay hydrated, wear loose, comfortable clothing, and avoid spending too much time in the sun during the hottest parts of the day.
|Weeks of April||Avg. Maximum Temperature||Avg. Minimum Temperature|
Is April a good time to visit Eravikulam National Park?
April is a good time to visit Eravikulam National Park as it is the peak blooming season of the Neelakurinji flowers, which bloom once every 12 years. These flowers cover the hillsides in a beautiful blue hue, making it a unique and picturesque sight. The park also offers several trekking trails that allow visitors to explore the beautiful landscape and spot endemic species such as the Nilgiri Tahr and the Anamudi peak, which is the highest peak in South India.
The weather in Munnar can be unpredictable, and sudden rainfall may affect the visibility of the Neelakurinji flowers, so it’s essential to check the weather forecast before planning your visit. Overall, April is a great time to visit Eravikulam National Park and witness the stunning beauty of nature in full bloom.
Best Places to Visit in Munnar in April
Munnar offers a range of stunning places to explore. The scenic beauty of tea plantations, majestic peaks, and rolling hills is a must-see for nature lovers. Trekking trails, breathtaking views, and local culture are some other attractions that make it a top destination in April.
|Eravikulam National Park||Top Station||Lakkam Waterfalls|
|Mattupetty Dam||Kundala Lake||Echo Point|
|Tea Plantations||Anamudi Peak||Pothamedu View Point|
See More: Places to visit in Munnar
Places to visit near Munnar in April
Munnar is surrounded by several breathtaking places to visit in April. The Western Ghats offer panoramic views and trekking trails, while nearby waterfalls and wildlife sanctuaries offer a glimpse of nature’s beauty. Additionally, tea estates, spice plantations, and local villages provide insights into the region’s culture and traditions.
|Places to visit around Munnar||Distance from Munnar (approximately)|
|Anamalai Tiger Reserve||160 km|
|Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary||49 km|
|Idukki Arch Dam||54 km|
|Thekkady Wildlife Sanctuary||94 km|
Things To Do In Munnar In April
Munnar offers a range of exciting activities to do in April. Witness the blooming of Neelakurinji flowers in the Eravikulam National Park, go trekking, camping, and bird watching in the surrounding hills, or enjoy boating and picnicking at the Mattupetty Dam. Tea plantation tours, cultural experiences, and local cuisine are other must-try activities in this amazing hill station.
- Witness the blooming of Neelakurinji flowers in Eravikulam National Park.
- Trekking and camping in the surrounding hills.
- Bird watching in the forests and wildlife sanctuaries.
- Boating and picnicking at Mattupetty Dam.
- Tea plantation tours and tea tasting sessions.
- Enjoy local cuisine and traditional cultural experiences.
- Visit Kundala Lake and indulge in water sports.
- Explore the beautiful waterfalls and wildlife sanctuaries in the area.
- Go on a jeep safari to explore the rugged terrain and beautiful landscapes.
- Experience the local traditions and festivals.
See More: Things to do in Munnar
Food and drink in Munnar in April
The local cuisine of Munnar is influenced by Kerala’s traditional flavors and features a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Some popular dishes include Appam, Puttu, and Fish Curry. Tea is the most popular drink, and visitors can also try local brews like Karimeen Pollichathu and Kallu.
|Best Eateries of Munnar||Best dishes and drinks of the eateries|
|Sree Mahaveer Bhojanalaya||
|Hotel SN Restaurant||
Types of Accommodations in Munnar in April
Munnar offers a wide variety of accommodations to suit every type of traveler’s preferences and budget. From luxury resorts and boutique hotels to homestays, cottages, and treehouses, there is no shortage of unique and comfortable options.
|Types of accommodations in Munnar||Best options you can pick in these accommodations|
What should I pack for a trip to Munnar in April?
When packing for a trip to Munnar in April, it’s important to keep in mind that the weather can be unpredictable. It can get hot during the day, but the nights can be chilly, so it’s a good idea to pack layers. You may also experience some rain, so it’s essential to pack a waterproof jacket or poncho. Here is a list of items that you should keep in your backpack while visiting Munnar in April.
- Light cotton clothes for the daytime
- Warm layers for the evenings
- Waterproof jacket or poncho
- Comfortable walking shoes or boots
- Insect repellent
- Hat or cap
Reasons to visit Munnar in April
April is a great time to visit Munnar as the weather is pleasant, the flowers are in full bloom, and there are several outdoor activities to enjoy. And here are some reasons that might steer you to get going on your trip.
- Pleasant weather with comfortable temperatures
- Stunning views of the hills and valleys covered in lush greenery
- Vibrant flowers in full bloom, especially the Neelakurinji flowers
- Ideal conditions for outdoor activities such as trekking, hiking, and camping
- Festivals and cultural events such as Vishu and Easter celebrations
- Fewer crowds compared to peak season, allowing for a more peaceful and relaxed experience
- Delicious local cuisine and refreshing drinks to enjoy in the pleasant weather.
Safety and health tips for visiting Munnar in April
To ensure a safe and healthy trip to Munnar in April, it is important to stay hydrated, wear sunscreen, and pack appropriate clothing for the weather. Avoid excessive alcohol consumption and practice social distancing and wearing a mask in crowded areas. Be aware of wildlife and follow safety guidelines during outdoor activities.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Apply sunscreen and wear a hat and sunglasses to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Wear appropriate clothing to stay cool and comfortable in the warm weather.
- Avoid alcohol consumption or drink in moderation to avoid dehydration and health risks.
- Be aware of wildlife and follow safety guidelines during outdoor activities such as trekking and camping.
- Carry a basic first aid kit and necessary medications.
- Seek medical attention if you experience any health concerns or illness.
known for its lush green tea plantations, cascading waterfalls, misty mountains, and serene valleys. April is an ideal time to visit Munnar as the weather is pleasant, and the blooming flowers add charm to the already mesmerizing landscape. It is the perfect time to indulge in outdoor activities, take a refreshing walk in the tea gardens, and witness the beauty of nature at its best. A visit to Munnar in April is an experience that should not be missed.