Ladakh is popular for two things, one high passes and second are the lakes. When you visit here, these are the most astonishing things and the people love the union territory.
Here is a list of famous and secluded lakes in Ladakh.
1. Pangong Tso
- Pangong Lake is the world’s highest saltwater lake that’s located in the Leh district of Ladakh.
- The lake is popular amongst travelers because it changes color throughout the day.
- One can enjoy their stay at the camp colonies around the lake.
- It is a picture-perfect attraction with a serene environment.
2. Tso Moriri Lake
- You can enjoy the lake view from the Korzok Monastery.
- The lake is about 213 km from Leh City and the entire trail is quite amazing and challenging.
- This lake is a heaven for bird watchers and one can spot several migratory birds too.
- You can also explore the Himalayan wildlife too.
- One can enjoy trekking around the lake too.
3. Tso Kar Lake
- This is a comparatively smaller but equally beautiful lake situated approximately 50 km from Tso Moriri
- Enjoy staying in the tents that are available around the lake.
- The temperature drops at night here so even if you are visiting here in summers, do wear woolen clothes.
- Keep an extra fuel can be filled while you visit here because there are no fuel stations around.
4. Kyun Tso and Ryul Lake
- These are two isolated lakes that are located in an isolated location in the Changthang region near Hanle.
These are the twin lakes that have a beautiful environment and they are not commercialized yet.
They are in close proximity to the Tso Moriri and people visit the lakes while visiting Tso Moriri.
You will have to take a special permit for Hanle and these two lakes.
5. Kyagar Tso Lake
- Kyagar Tso is another pristine and non-commercialized lake of Ladakh.
It is located in the Mahe region of the Union Territory and is one of the highest towns across the world.
This secluded region is located in the beautiful Rupshu Valley to be exact.
It is better to visit here during summers because the temperature in winter goes below freezing.
6. Chagar Tso Lake
- You will come across this petite lake while riding/ driving towards Pangong Lake.
- While the lake is surrounded by breathtaking valleys and less commercialized, it will be good if you stop by and enjoy the view.
- If you are carrying tea, you can enjoy it here with utter silence and beautiful surroundings.
7. Nyak Tso Lake
- A part of Nyak Tso is located in Ladakh and the other part is in Tibet.
- The pristine lake is located in the Rudog town of the union territory.
- Nyak Tso is adjacent to another good attraction Rum Tso.
8. Yarab Tso Lake
- Yarab Tso is located in the Panamik Village of Nubra Valley and is amongst the top attractions of Ladakh.
- The people living around the lake treat it as a holy lake.
- You cannot swim or bathe in the lake.
- Yarab lake is known as the wishing lake amongst the locals.
- You will have to take an easy hike to reach the lake.
9. Mirpal Tso Lake
- This is a green Emerald lake that is popular for its own charm.
- It is situated below the Kaksang La Pass.
- The people believe that the lake gets its color from the mountains around.
- While visiting here, you have to cross the 8th highest motorable road in the world.
10. Yaye Tso
- Yaye Tso is located approximately 20 km from Mahe to Chusul route.
- This is a heart-shaped volcanic lake that’s located at an altitude of 4988 m above sea level.
- You can see the lake from the top of Hora La Pass.
11. Kyago Tso Lake
- This is a petite saltwater lake in Ladakh.
- It is amongst the brackish lakes of the region.
- The color of the lake turns turquoise blue.
12. Lang Tso and Stat Tso Lake
- These are the twin lakes that are situated at the edge of Pensi La Pass connecting Zuru and Zanskar Valley.
- The beauty of the valley and the lakes are amazing and simply breathtaking.
- You can enjoy the reflection of the snow-clad peaks in the water.
Is there a frozen lake in Ladakh?
Owing to such an astonishing altitude, almost all the lakes in Ladakh freeze during the winter season. Needless to say that the saltwater lakes in Ladakh are more in number and they are at higher altitudes. Some of them are Pangong, Tso Kar, and Tso Moriri.
Which is the biggest lake in Ladakh?
The biggest lake of Ladakh is Pangong Tso. This is one of the most important lakes and it is safe to say popular as well. The small part of Pangong Tso that lies in the Indian Territory is approximately 699.3 km sq.
Which lake in Ladakh is known as the white saltwater lake?
Tso Kar lake is a white saltwater lake that is also known as a huge saltwater lake.