October embarks the off-season of Leh Ladakh as the temperature starts to dip significantly and the higher altitudes start to receive mild and continuous snow. This is an addition that makes visiting Ladakh in October, even more challenging. Ladakh in October is better for adventure lovers who want to visit the attractions in the union territory with the least crowd.
But on the contrary, it will be better if you get all your bookings done beforehand. October in Ladakh marks the beginning of winter and is considered to be the start of their off-season. In this case, the accommodation options become limited and people move towards the city and village areas. You will have to get your bookings done at Nubra Valley, Pangong Lake, and other such places. Apart from these, visiting Ladakh in October will be of immense joy.
Here are the major attractions to visit in October in Leh Ladakh
1. Khardung La
This attraction cannot be measured at any cost if you are visiting Ladakh in October. There are chances that you can find snowfall in this attraction. Also for people visiting Nubra Valley, you have to cross Khardung La. Here are a few things that you should know about the place:
- It is one of the highest motorable roads in the world and a top-notch attraction in Ladakh.
- You might encounter mild snowfall in Khardung La because of its high altitude.
- It remains open for tourists in October and one should definitely visit here.
- Due to the cold temperature and less oxygen, it is better to carry your first aid kit and medicines related to AMS.
- If not fresh snow, you will surely get ice on both sides of the road. Also, there will be no accommodations around Khardung La.
2. Nubra Valley
The second most famous and visited attraction of Ladakh in any month of the year is none other than Nubra Valley. Why you make a plan to visit this enchanting Valley here are a few things that you should know about:
- After crossing Khardung La, you will reach the next attraction of Ladakh which is the Nubra Valley. You will have to cross Khardung La to reach here.
- Even in October, you will find it comfortable to explore and enjoy this valley.
- Go on a sightseeing trip to Sumur, Diskit, Hundur, Panamik and Turtuk.
- If you have permission, visit the Siachen Base Camp which is another high point for travelers.
- Finding accommodation at any of these villages in October will not be a problem.
- There are chances to catch some snow on the way from Khardung La to Nubra Valley that might block the road. But other than this, there won’t be a problem at all.
3. Pangong Tso
The third attraction on our list of places to visit in Ladakh in October is the most revered Pangong Lake. This attraction is undoubtedly one of the best and most visited. People wish to visit here because of the amazing beauty that is offered by the lake. We brought to you some important information in so that you are well prepared of this place:
- Pangong being an amazing and top-notch destination of Ladakh is visited extensively by visitors. It is easy to commute to Pangong from Leh or Nubra.
- Bus services from Leh to Pangong Lake remain operational throughout October making your transit even smoother.
- One can also opt-in for the shared cabs to commute from Leh to Pangong Tso.
- An advantage of visiting Pangong in October will be that the crowd will thin away in the month giving you better options at cheaper rates.
- If you don’t wish to stay at the tented apartments then head to Man, Spangmik, or Merak for better stay options.
4. Tso Moriri
Tso Moriri might not be as popular as bang on but there is no doubt that this place is highly enjoyable and beautiful. This lake has a very different and beautiful environment with a lot of flora and fauna thriving around. Here is what you should know before visiting:
- This is another destination in Ladakh that remains open throughout October.
- You can choose any route to visit here, be it via Chushul or Chumathang.
- Finding a guest house or homestay even in October won’t be a problem.
- The accommodations here are quite extensive and probably better than those available in Pangong Tso.
The capital is also the hubspot where people not only enjoy visiting multiple attractions but also give themselves a chance to acclimatise to the change in altitude and environment:
- Being the capital of Ladakh, Leh has the only airport in the union territory.
- Reaching here in October and visiting the top-notch attractions of Leh is quite easy.
- You will get an extensive range of staying options right from homestays to luxury hotels.
- You can visit some places on foot and for others, you can hire a cab or bus.
6. Chang La Pass
- This is another high-altitude pass that’s located on the Leh to Pangong Lake route.
- You might encounter light to medium snowfall at the highest point.
- There is no accommodation at this point but you will find enough places to stay at Man, Merak, and Spangmik.
- We have added Chala pass in the list of places to visit in Ladakh during October because this is a high altitude attraction and if you want to witness the early snowfall then this place is the best amongst every other in Ladakh.
These are the major destinations of Ladakh and all of these places are accessible in October. One needs to just take care of the uncertain weather of the place. So, while making plans do ensure that these places are on your list and that you have considered the weather forecast too.
Before you make any plans of visiting Ladakh in October, we would like to inform you that this is the last month for people wanting to take a road trip here. And if you have already thought of taking a roadside to Ladakh in October then we would strictly suggest that before you leave the place make sure of noting the weather conditions. This would help you in understanding the region better bike right from October it starts to snow in this high altitude destination.