Although the entire state of Uttarakhand is a complete wonder and an amazing place to visit for any kind of traveler. But there are some places that are still away from commercialization. Therefore it makes a wonderful getaway for people who wish to stay away from the chaos and want to spend some time amidst the real natural beauty. And these places not just hold some amazing sites to offer to the visitors but multiple adventure activities can also be enjoyed during your trip. Whatever your niche would be; don’t stress much- Almora has it all for you. There are so many things to do in Almora other than enjoying the beauty- you will surely have a great time here.
See also: Best time to visit Almora
Almora is one of the best places where you can visit and if you wish to, here are some amazing attractions in the town.
Some of the famous places to visit in and near Almora
1. Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary
Distance between Almora to Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary: 24 km
Time Taken to reach: 1 hour (Approximately)
- It is one of the finest places away from chaotic life and if you wish to stay in Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary- there is a rest house that comes under KMVN.
- Binsar is a conservation and protection sanctuary that houses more than 200 bird species including some of the migratory birds including magpies, blackbirds, koklass pheasant, kalij pheasant, eagles, and Eurasian jays, to name. This intrigues wildlife enthusiasts and bird watchers to visit here frequently.
- You can trek to the Zero point and enjoy the view of some Himalayan Peaks including Trisul, Kedarnath, Nanda Devi, and Shivling.
- If you are a nature lover then do visit the Binsar museum where you get an extensive collection of flora and fauna. It includes 25 species of trees, 7 species of grasses, and 24 species of herbs and shrubs. You will get to see a variety of flowers in March and April.
- The fauna that resides here includes leopards, chital, Sumatran Serow, Himalayan Goral, musk deer, jungle cat, pine marten, wild boar, gray langur, red giant flying squirrel, back bear, and rhesus macaque to name some.
- While you visit here, do not forget to visit the Khali estate which was once a private property of Sir Henry Ramsay.
- Also, visit Mary Budden Estate which is located approximately 8000 ft. above sea level. The major attraction of the place is the Shiva Temple. Enjoy using the observatory deck here too.
- We would suggest that you take out at least 5 hours to spend here in the sanctuary to enjoy things completely. We would suggest not to hurry up while visiting here.
Distance between Almora to Mirtola: 32 km
Time Taken to reach: 1 hour 10 min (Approximately)
- Mirtola is situated in Khairna which is roughly 33 km from Almora and is referred to as one of the best adventurer’s destinations in Uttarakhand.
- Mirtola is popular for photography because it boasts the breathtaking lush greenery in the backdrop.
- The serenity and scenery of the place make it a wonderful destination. And yes, it is offbeat too. You won’t find a lot of people here any time in the year. This makes it the utmost peaceful destination around.
- The sublime beauty of the place is what attracts adventurers and nature lovers both. You can enjoy wild trekking and photography.
- You can visit the nearby temples including the Katarmal Sun Temple to offer your prayers to the lord.
- Try the local cuisines to know more about the food and taste of the place.
The best time to visit Mirtola is between September and November when the rain enhances the greenery of the place.
3. Jageshwar Dham
Distance between Almora to Jageshwar Dham: 35.6 km
Time Taken to reach: 1 hour 16 min (Approximately)
- Jageshwar Dham is another very historically rich pilgrim site in Uttarakhand. It is roughly 36 km from Almora towards the Northeast side.
- It is an offbeat attraction that flaunts the pristine view of the valley in the backdrop and the river flowing along.
- The entire Jageshwar Dham is a complex that houses 125 multiple small and big temples, each one of them unique in its own way.
- All the temples here are dedicated to Lord Shiva and the aura around the temples is quite amazing and highly positive. You can feel it radiating from all the corners of the complex.
4. Kalimath Temple
Distance between Almora to Kalimath Temple: 240 km
Time Taken to reach: 8 hours 10 min (Approximately)
- Situated at an altitude of 6000 ft above sea level, Kalimath Temple is another attraction you can visit on your trip to Almora.
- It is situated alongside the river Saraswati in the Garhwal Himalayas with a beautiful valley in the backdrop.
- The temple is surrounded by Kedarnath Peaks that fall in the Rudraprayag District of Uttarakhand.
- What makes it a highly visited place is the fact that it is the solo Siddh Peeth in the Kedarnath Valley.
- Devotees throng the temple throughout the year but the place comes to life during the Navratris.
- The best time to visit Kalimath Temple is during the summer season when the temperature remains comfortable throughout the day.
Distance between Almora to Dwarahat: 60 km
Time Taken to reach: 2 hours 10 min (Approximately)
- Approximately 61 km from Almora, Dwarahat makes for an amazing place to visit for peace lovers.
- This is an ancient town that flaunts the beautiful temples as well as the mesmerizing sceneries offered by the Kumaon Mountains.
- This petite and quaint town has ancient temples including Dunagiri Devi Temple in the list of best places to visit in Dwarahat.
- If you are planning to visit here, just ensure that you do not plan it during the monsoon season.
- Make sure that you have booked your accommodation prior to your departure because they are limited and they fill up quickly.
- One of the best things to do while visiting Dwarahat is to explore the city on foot. Trekking around is also a good thing to do.
- Enjoy the ruins of the glorious past of Dwarahat and witness the amazing sites.
Almora is a real gem and so are the places near this petite town. You can easily visit the area around because that’s going to be a to-do thing. While you plan your trip, do ensure to include the places that are listed above. It will give you a complete travel experience.
While trekking and exploring the neighborhood of Almora, you will find a lot of enchanting small attractions and yes, natural beauty is going to be an intact thing throughout.
See Also: Places to visit in Almora | Places to visit in Mukteshwar | Places to Visit in Kausani
Places to visit in Kausani | Places to visit in Ranikhet | Places to visit in Binsar